Sunday, April 6, 2014

Joule

After a very long day, I just wanted to sit down and relax with nice dinner.  It was around 7 on Wednesday, and I couldn't decide where to go.  As I made my way home, I was driving towards Wallingford.  Then it hit me.... Joule.  I have been wanting to try this place, but it always has been booked.  I'm thinking it probably is now since it is around 7, but what they hey...I am gonna give it a try.  I find sort of legal place to park, and drop the boyfriend off to see what the chances are.  He runs back and says 20 minute, but we can have a drink outside by the fire pit.  Sign me up..we are so in.

I have heard nothing but great things about this place, so I was so excited to give it a try. We ended up not having to wait, and were able to be seated immediately at the communal table.   Joule offers modern take on Korean cuisine.  Their dishes are served family style and meant to be shared.  This just means I can order more food..EXCELLENT!!

The menu all looks tasty, but here is what we had:

We started with the white stuffed kimchi and spicy rice cake with house made chorizo.                





When we ordered
these the waitress said these pair really nice together.  We received the kimchi first.  This was different from your standard kimchi or kimchi I have had before.  It was good, but to me it was just a little too much vinegar or too acidic.  It needed a little something.  We finished this before the spicy rice cake came out.  When it did, i had wished I would have waited and not finished the kimchi.  The spicy rice cake is what it needed.  This is one tasty dish.  The chorizo is unexpected, but works well worth it.  The dish has a kick to it, but it is not overwhelming spice.  It slowly builds and develops with each bite.

We then moved to the bigger plates,  Octopus, bok choy, hot bacon vinaigrette (you had me at hot bacon), and "that" short rib steak, kalbi, grilled kimchi.  I don't think I ever had Octopus cooked so well. It was tender, and just had a great grilled smokey flavor too it.  The bacon vinaigrette just enhanced this flavor and complimented it nicely.  I was told by the waitress they are known for their steaks.  They offer 4 different steaks on the menu, but the one we ordered is their signature streaks.  This was one good steak.  The spices that were on this steak just provided this wonderful and memorable flavor.  Who knew Korean spices could make steak so good.  Hands down one of the best steaks I have had. The taste still lingers in my head and my taste buds are craving. This is a must have if you visit.  In fact all is a must have if you visit.   I can't wait to go back, and plotting my order.


Joule on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment