Saturday, May 3, 2014

WAI'OLU Ocean View Lounge at Trump Wakiki

It was Friday night in Honolulu, and the question was where to eat.  Since i was looking for a place late on Friday afternoon, it was a little difficult to find a place that any openings.  In doing my search, I stumbled across WAI'OLU Ocean View Lounge.  The reviews said they had great views, drinks, and food was not bad.  And I could get a reservation at 8pm.

The lounge is on the 6th floor of the Trump hotel.  It is nice and open and has some great seats that I am sure have great views during the day.  The seating is a mix of tables and chairs and comfy looking couches and chairs.  We were stuck back in the corner and did not get much of view.  Not long after we sat down, a fireworks display started over the beach.  The fireworks display is 5 minutes and put on every Friday night by the Hilton Waikiki.
 When in Hawaii, you must have the best Mai Tai in Honolulu.  This is what the WAI'OLU Ocean View Lounge touts.  At $15 it better be the best Mai Tai I have ever had.  I have to say it was one of the better mai tai's I have had.  It had shaved ice ball, and was not too sweet.

The menu is more smaller plates (asian tapas), so we opted to get a couple of dishes.  We ordered the Ahi Poke, California rolls, and Shrimp Dynamite.

You can';t really mess up Ahi Poke. It was good, had a good flavor, and was by far my favorite dish of the evening.  The California roll was a bit of a disappointment.  It seemed to be lacking in the California, and mostly rice.  Personally, I think the sushi at Whole Foods is better.  The Shrimp Dynamite, which had shrimp, scallops, mushroom, zucchini, and "dynamite sauce".  The sauce was mostly a spicy mayonnaise, and there was a little too much for my taste.

WAI'OLU Ocean View Lounge is a nice restaurant to visit at least once for some drinks and the view at least.  I can't say it was one of my most favorite places to eat while in Hawaii, but I can say I have been there.





No comments:

Post a Comment